Today is Giving Tuesday, the greatest day of giving in the world.
It's important to remember that everyone has something to offer and that every act of kindness matters. Even the smallest gestures of charity and kindness may brighten someone's day in a time when the world might feel bleak and terrible things happen on a daily basis.
This is also the perfect time to think about and celebrate the many wonderful groups and individuals that are striving to make #ourdurhamlife a better place. And we highlight some of them below.
Hope you get a chance to participate. If it feels good, do it!
In this week's edition:
- 🧔🏻 We profile an amazing young man who's been participating in "Movember" for the last 10 years and raised over $20,000!
- 💗 Some great options for your Giving Tuesday donations here in Durham Region
- 📆 Top 5 events happening in #ourdurhamlife this week.
Our Good News story of the week!
Do you know Devon Smith? from Port Perry?
Well, every November since 2012, this young man has been growing a mustache and raising funds for “Movember,” the leading charity changing the face of men’s health. He's raised over $20,000 over the years, which is amazing! Amazing, not only for the money he's raised, but Amazing because Devon was born with severe hydrocephalus, has multiple disabilities and is nonverbal. And over is 37 years, he's had 54 surgeries.
But that doesn't stop him.
He volunteers at the local Foodland and Canadian Tire weekday mornings, and he delivers the mail to a handful of businesses in downtown Port Perry in the afternoons. He likes to keep busy!
We met up with him and his assistant, Carly, as he was making his rounds delivering the mail in Port Perry.
Now it's your turn to be amazing! On this Giving Tuesday, if you could help Devon reach his goal, that would be even more amazing! All support will be kindly appreciated.
You can donate for his Movember campaign here:
And Thank You, Devon, for all you do!
Want to “do good” in Durham Region?
As we said at the top of the newsletter, Giving Tuesday is a day to encourage people to "do good" by giving their time, money, and skills to help solve problems in their communities. And there are plenty of oppotunities to that in #ourdurhamlife.
- Durham Community Foundation
DCF is one of 191 Community Foundations in Canada and is championing #DurhamGivesBack on GivingTuesday. They are committed to building a resilient and caring community through endowments, leadership and philanthropy. Located in Ajax.
- Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences is a public teaching hospital providing a range of specialized assessment and treatment services to those living with complex and serious mental illness. This year, all donations will be tripled (3x) by the physicians and a generous supporter until Dec. 31. Located in Whitby.
- Ontario Tech Students in Need you can help by make a gift to their Student Relief Fund. All funds raised go directly to help our students who are struggling to cover the costs of housing, food, tuition, and mental health services. And this year,every single gift will be matched by the university, doubling (2x) the impact of your [contribution](https://giving.ontariotechu.ca/ways-to-give/giving-tuesday/giving-tuesday-donation-form.php). Located in Oshawa.
- Feed the Need in Durham with food security and hunger on the rise in Durham Region, they seek everyone’s help to spread the message that hunger is unacceptable in our community. There are a number of ways of helping: donating funds, donating food, volunteering and creating an event. They serve all of Durham Region. #fighthungertoday
📅 Interesting events happening in #OurDurhamLife this week...
Thursday - Dec 1
- 👩🏼🌾 Whitby Farmer's Market @ Night
The Farmers Market is back for two nights of great holiday shopping from some of your favourite vendors.
December 1st & December 8th. – 3:00 pm – 8:00 pm.!
Whitby Civic Recreation Complex - lower parking lot
555 Rossland Road East.
Tons of Parking available at Town Hall.
- Classic Movie Night @ Regent Theatre - 🚂 The Polar Express
All Children & Students FREE! Adults $5.00
Regent Theatre - Oshawa
Saturday - Dec 3
- 🎅🏾 Santa Claus Parades
The last 2 are happening today... @10:00 am in Whitby and @5:00 pm in Port Perry. Ho! Ho! Ho!
- Joy to the 'Shwa 🎄
Ring in December with The Dirt Squirrels All-Star Band and performances by: Poor Pelly, Darren Clarke, Matt Holtby & Cobra Coyote. Tix = $20.00
Biltmore Theatre - Oshawa
Sunday - Dec 4
- WILD Winter Festival Of Lights 🌠
Soper Creek Wildlife Rescue’s annual WILD Winter Festival of Lights is your new holiday tradition; it’s a drive-through experience and a feast for your eyes, taking you through a magical avenue of dazzling holiday light displays!
Canadian Tire Motorsport Park - Clarington
📡 On our Radar...
- BlackLit Durham Literary Showcase: Praise for the Season
Sunday, Dec 11. Doors open at 6:30 PM; show starts at 7 PM.
Event hosted in partnership with the St. Francis Centre in Pickering Village.
💡 Positive News from around the world... to enrich #OurDurhamLife...
- Just in time for the Christmas season... Study finds that Eating Dinner as a Family makes Families 91% Less Stressed.
- Just in time for the Gratitude season... A Multi-Cultural Perspective on Gratitude
- Just in time for Baking Season... While struggling with her mental health, Kitty Tait found joy in bread. With her recipe book, she’s sharing how baking helped her overcome shame.
The Last Words...
Here are gentle reminders as we welcome a new week and the final month of the calendar. May we stay open and remain present:
- Mindset matters. Routine matters. Consistency matters.
- The way you speak to yourself can change your whole world
- Doing your best looks different every day. Be patient with yourself.
- Focus less energy on what you can't control and more on what you can create and impact.
💖 Enjoy this newsletter?
Forward to a friend and let them know where they can subscribe (hint: it's here.)
Wanna get featured? Hit reply and gives us the details.
Anything else? Hit reply and give us feedback or just say hi!
Until next time... do good!